Spoiler Alert!

Then, it has been a while now huh?

Over the past few months, watching anime has gotten less and less enjoyable for me. It has become more of a chore than anything, merely doing it because that's what I do and not really because I want to. Whether it is the number of terrible exposition dumps or the often stale animation that I encounter in almost every anime I watch, I don't know. Simply something has changed. It wasn't like I have watched as well many bad shows or annihilation, I accept watched a lot of terrible English movies merely I still love watching them (Here's my letterboxd if y'all know what that is. Cheque that shit out). It was almost the contrary, where almost anime are so painfully forgettable that it makes the whole anime experience just that. I recently made a MyAnimeList account merely so that I could run across the average score that I give anime. And while a half dozen.22 isn't exactly bad or annihilation, it is ultimately forgettable and pointless. Good but ehhh… The excitement and involvement I got from watching 'Fiddling Witch Academia' isn't there anymore. Information technology was nigh every bit if I was beginning to autumn off.

So one day I decided that I wouldn't do this anymore. Not that I would end watching anime or anything. My favorite anime of all time is an anime and so I would never lose my promise that easily, at to the lowest degree for now. But I decided that I wouldn't sentinel normal anime anymore. I would only sentinel the classics. Those that had aired years ago but stood the examination of fourth dimension and are even so known today. I didn't want to watch simply some other anime. This had to be bully. And what a skilful style to start that off with Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Neon Genesis Evangelion, directed and written by Hideaki Anno, follows Shinji Ikari, a 14-year old boy, who told that he needs to pilot an Evangelion, a sort of mech robot, or otherwise world is doomed. He tells everyone that he won't exist able to do it since he has never washed anything like information technology before, just as more than and more than pressure level builds up he climbs into the robot and saves the earth. Or at least for now. And while the show starts just like some other mecha prove, information technology slowly turns into a graphic symbol drama virtually mental health and the everlasting modify in the human mind. And that's the all-time part of the bear witness. While in that location are many expert anime about mental health similar A Silent Voice or arguably Your Name, I find that too many of them don't take it seriously enough. While I haven't watched an anime that truly disrespects people with mental illnesses, but besides many of them are way too comedic. So when I watched this and saw how serious and true to reality that depression and anxiety were portrayed in the prove I was very glad. It showed how Hideaki truly knew what depression felt like, and then knowing that he was depressed at the time wasn't a surprise. Information technology made Asuka an extremely skillful graphic symbol in my optics. While I establish her charming and fun in the early on episodes, which I was surprised by since I ordinarily find Tsundere archetypes abrasive, her backstory was what made her then good. Even in the early episodes, we come across Asuka oftentimes saying that she's the best and that she's already an adult. That she is expert enough. And while it sounded normal in the kickoff, at one bespeak I started to realize how it wasn't exactly that. Nosotros run into how her relationship with her parents has just made her less emotionally controllable, and how information technology has afflicted her future. She keeps telling herself that she is better than everyone else considering that's the simply style for her to control herself a little bit. That her parents didn't give her enough attention equally a kid and so she can only hide it past telling herself that she's the all-time and already an adult. That is until it doesn't work anymore. Until information technology becomes as well much. The elevator scene in episode 22 shows this very well so I was surprised to come across how much infamy it has gotten. How she tries to ignore the problem until it becomes likewise much and the merely way she can escape it is by telling the world that she is better than anybody so she tin feel but a little bit better.

And this sort of change in character becomes very consequent. Shinji becoming more of an opinionated person as he meets new and more vibrant people, needing to become an adult and take on bigger responsibilities, and again with Asuka showing how parents tin accept a big event on their children. And I found all of that very interesting. Character development is common in media but the amount of it here was very surprising. I might've not accept understood what happened all the time, simply I could often tell what they were supposed to mean which I think is more important in some cases.

On the technical side, I was very impressed. The cinematography does an extremely good job at conveying the relationships between the characters, the colors always fit the tone of every scene and the animation never feels as well stiff. But I had a very big appreciation for ane certain thing though, that being the mech fights. Not necessarily because they were well animated or choreographed, though they were for certain. Simply I loved how they ever make them feel similar squad efforts. In episode xi in that location'southward a blackout in the base, pregnant that they can't actuate the Eva's like earlier. An angel would exist the worst thing that could happen, so information technology does of course. It seems hopeless for them, a spider angel is walking through the city and nothing can stop it. But there is still hope, and everyone works together to manually actuate the Eva'due south with a lot of hard work. And it shows how it's not only the pilots who have a part in defeating the angels, but everyone. How the fights are never simply punching the angels until they are dead, just that there's an actual strategy to it, similar when they use all of Japans electricity to shoot off a massive beam at an bending or when they use the Eva's as bait similar fishing. It was always fascinating to see how the squad would overcome a problem, and that'southward what I want from mecha shows.

In the finish, Neon Genesis Evangelion is both a psychological drama and a mecha testify and it does both of those aspects incredibly well! And while I take my issues with the evidence like a few lines that felt a little besides on-the-nose and expository, I think Neon Genesis Evangelion is an amazing show that might've gotten me back into anime again.

x/10